General information about reproduction services
The Kennedy Library provides photocopy and digital reproduction services at fees set by the National Archives (see fee schedules below); we ask that all fees be paid in advance of processing orders. Self-service photocopying of textual materials is also available in our Main Research Room at a reduced rate (currently $0.25 per page).
The Kennedy Library now provides digitization-on-demand services for both textual and audiovisual collections. In the case of textual collections, we scan entire folders rather than single documents – a process that is generally faster, cheaper, and more preservation-friendly than our photocopy service (see photocopy and digitization fees below). The scanned folders are delivered to our researchers electronically (as pdfs) and then made freely available to everyone on our digital archives. We strongly encourage researchers to make use of our digitization-on-demand service.
Please make note of the following reproduction policies:
- Orders are filled on a first-paid, first-processed basis.
- Orders placed on-site are given preference over mail orders of the same date.
- We accept personal checks, money orders, or credit cards, and ask that all payments be made in U.S. currency. Foreign checks and money orders must be drawn on a branch of a U.S. bank.
- We send mail-order copies via regular mail; alternate shipping may be arranged at the researcher's expense.
- We reserve the right not to process orders for researchers with outstanding or unpaid balances at the Library or any other NARA facility.
For more information please contact Kennedy.Library@nara.gov or 617.514.1629.
Reproduction services: textual materials
- Self-service photocopying: $0.25/page
- Digital scans: $0.80/page; maximum of $40.00 per folder
- Photocopying performed by Library staff: $0.80/page ($20 minimum per order)
Reproduction services: audiovisual materials
Fee rates (not including usage fees); other formats may be available upon request:
- Pre-scanned, low-resolution images are free
- $0.80 per photocopy
- $26.00 per high-resolution scan (newly- or pre-scanned .TIFF or .JPG)
- $23.00 per black and white 8x10 print
- $31.75 per color 8x10 print
- $11.50 per DVD-quality file (MPEG-2)
- $11.50 per Web-quality file (MP4 H.264)
- $40.00 per DV25 file (.mov)
- $83.50 per ProRes file (pre-digitized)
- $125.00 per DPX file (pre-digitized)
- $11.50 per digital audio file (.wav or mp3)
Important information regarding reproduction of audiovisual materials:
- When requesting a reproduction, please refer to the item's accession number or digital identifier, if it is known.
- Items that are in the public domain may be reproduced without permission.
- To receive reproductions of copyrighted materials, you may first need to seek written permission from the copyright holder. In some cases, AV Archives staff can provide you with contact information for copyright holders represented in our materials. However, please know that you assume all responsibility for ensuring that copyright is protected and that all necessary permissions are secured in writing prior to publishing materials from our holdings.
- Please consult our copyright guidance page for more information about copyright of audiovisual materials.
For further assistance, please contact our AV Reference staff at JFK.AVarchives@nara.gov or 617.514.1622.