Back

Ring Stand

MO 63.1429a
Ring Stand
Maker unknown
1769
Dublin, Ireland
Silver
3 1/2" x 7 1/4"
Antique silver dish ring stand. Openwork and chased silver dish ring engraved with two pheasants among flowers and a cartouche with a crest flanked by a figure on the left and a wolf on the right. Three of four hallmarks are legible: the crowned harp certifies that the ring is 92.5% pure silver, Hibernia seated certifies proper excise duty was paid, "W" is the date letter for the year 1769. The fourth mark, the maker's mark is indistinct, with the first letter being "J" and uncertain surname. The scrolled floral design of the dishring is typical of the Rococo style in silversmithing introduced to the British Isles by the French Huguenot silversmith Paul de Lamerie. Even a trace of chinoiserie is present in the small figure next to the cartouche.
This dish ring was presented to President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy during their state visit to Ireland on June 27, 1963 by the First Lady of Ireland Sinead de Valera, the wife of Eamon de Valera, President of Ireland (1959-1973).
  • Eamon de Valera, President of Ireland (1959-1973), Prime Minister of Ireland (1932-1948, 1951-1954, 1957-1959)
  • Sinéad de Valera, Wife of the President of Ireland
Donated to the United States
JFKSG-MO-1963-1429a