Guidelines on citations and credits
When citing our textual holdings, please include the materials' relevant box numbers and full folder titles; when citing audiovisual materials, please use the items' accession numbers, where known. This information will assist our Reference staff in retrieving cited materials for future researchers.
Below are examples of citation formats and credit lines for various types of Library materials. Initial citations (of collection titles or of the Kennedy Library) should be spelled out; subsequent citations should use abbreviations (e.g., WHCSF for White House Central Subject Files and JFKL for John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum).
For more information please contact Kennedy.Library@nara.gov or 617.514.1629.
1. Letter, James M. Curley to Mr. and Mrs. John F. Kennedy, February 12, 1957. Papers of John F. Kennedy. Presidential Papers. President's Office Files. Series 2. Special Correspondence, Box 29, Folder: "Curley, James M., 12 February 1957". John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
2. Memorandum, Chief of Naval Personnel to Lieut. John F. Kennedy, January 7, 1944. Papers of John F. Kennedy. Personal Papers. Series 7.1. Boston Office, 1940-1956: Personal File, Box 11, Folder: "Navy records, 7 January 1944-15 May 1952". JFKL.
3. Motion picture film, Address to the Houston Ministers Conference, 12 September 1960. Independent Film Producers Collection, Accession Number: IFP:140. JFKL.
4. Photograph, Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy in his Office, undated. New York Times Photograph Collection. Series 1. John F. Kennedy Photographs, 1961-1963. Box 1, Folder: "Robert F. Kennedy in the Attorney General's Office, undated", Accession Number: PX65-129:39. JFKL.
5. G. Mennen Williams Oral History Interview: JFK #1, 1/27/1970. John F. Kennedy Oral History Collection. JFKL.
6. Sound recording, Tape 96. Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Negotiations, 3 July 1963. Papers of John F. Kennedy. Presidential Papers. President's Office Files. Series 13.1. Presidential Recordings: Meetings, Box MTG, Folder: "Meetings: Tape 96. Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Negotiations, 3 July 1963". JFKL. (Use the same citation format for telephone recordings.)
Sample credit lines
1. Cecil Stoughton. White House Photographs. John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, Boston.
2. Douglas Jones, (c) LOOK magazine. JFKL, Boston.
3. Copyright John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, Kennedy Family Collection. JFKL, Boston.
4. White House Communications Agency. JFKL, Boston.
5. Copyright © New York Times. New York Times Photograph Collection. JFKL, Boston.
6. Copyright NBC. JFKL, Boston.
7. Copyright Hy Peskin, LIFE magazine. JFKL, Boston.