- The winner receives a $10,000 cash award. If the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation holds the 2022 Profile in Courage Award event in person, the winner and her/his/their family will be invited to travel to Boston to accept her/his/their award in May 2022. Travel and lodging expenses will be paid for the trip to Boston for the winning student and her/his/their parents.
- Second-place winner receives $3,000.
- Five finalists receive $1,000 each.
- Eight semifinalists receive $100 each.
- Ten students receive honorable mentions.
- The nominating teacher of the first-place winner is also invited to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library to receive the John F. Kennedy Public Service Grant in the amount of $500 for school projects encouraging student leadership and civic engagement. Travel and lodging expenses will be paid for the trip to Boston.
- All participants receive a Certificate of Participation.
Winners and finalists will be notified by April 30. All participants will receive a letter announcing the winners and finalists by the end of May.
Please do not call the Kennedy Presidential Library for information about the status of your essay. All participants receive a Certificate of Participation.