- The winner receives a $10,000 cash award. The winner and her/his family are invited to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston to accept her/his award and participate in Profile in Courage Award events in May 2020. Travel and lodging expenses will be paid for the trip to Boston for the winning student and her/his parents.
- Second-place winner receives $3,000.
- Five finalists receive $1,000 each.
- Eight semifinalists receive $100 each.
- Ten students receive honorable mentions.
- The nominating teacher of the first-place winner is also invited to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library to receive the John F. Kennedy Public Service Grant in the amount of $500 for school projects encouraging student leadership and civic engagement. Travel and lodging expenses will be paid for the trip to Boston.
- All participants receive a Certificate of Participation.
Winners and finalists will be notified by April 30. All participants will receive a letter announcing the winners and finalists by the end of May.
Please do not call the Kennedy Presidential Library for information about the status of your essay. All participants receive a Certificate of Participation.