Please note: Because the Profile in Courage Essay Contest is a John F. Kennedy Library Foundation program, it is continuing to operate during the government shutdown. The contest deadline was January 18, 2019.
- The winner receives a $10,000 cash award. The winner and her/his family are invited to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston to accept her/his award and participate in Profile in Courage Award events from May 18 - 20, 2019. Travel and lodging expenses will be paid for the trip to Boston for the winning student and her/his parents.
- Second-place winner receives $3,000.
- Five finalists receive $1,000 each.
- Eight semifinalists receive $100 each.
- Ten students receive honorable mentions.
- The nominating teacher of the first-place winner is also invited to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library to receive the John F. Kennedy Public Service Grant in the amount of $500 for school projects encouraging student leadership and civic engagement. Travel and lodging expenses will be paid for the trip to Boston.
- All participants receive a Certificate of Participation.
Winners and finalists will be notified by April 30. All participants will receive a letter announcing the winners and finalists by the end of May.
Please do not call the Kennedy Presidential Library for information about the status of your essay. All participants receive a Certificate of Participation.