- Website Privacy Statement
- JFK Moonshot: An Augmented Reality Experience
Privacy and Use Policies
This website was funded by the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation and is a joint collaboration of the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum and the Foundation.
The Library is a Presidential Library administered by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), a United States Government Agency. Visit NARA’s Privacy Office page to view their privacy documentation, including Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) and System of Records Notices (SORNs).
The Foundation is a non-governmental, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that supports the programs and activities of the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
What information is collected?
This website uses tools to collect web traffic data to better understand how visitors engage with us. Please refer to the following privacy policies for more information about each tool:
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
Unless you choose to provide additional information to us, we collect no personal information about you other than statistical information that can be used to make the site more effective for our visitors. The information that is automatically collected and stored in our analytics implementation is:
- The name of the domain (from which you access the Internet);
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our site;
- The country and state from which you access our site;
- The pages you visit on our site; and
- Search terms used to get to our website from an external search engine and terms used on our site search;
Our system collects server log data which will include your IP address, your domain name, the type of browser and operating system you used, the pages you viewed, search requests, in some cases data you submitted via web forms, and, if you linked to our site from another web site, that web site's address.
Some parts of our website let you voluntarily provide personal information, such as your name or email address. For example, you can provide us with your contact information to sign up for email alerts or to post comments to our blog. We do not collect this information when you visit our website unless you choose to provide it to us. When you provide it to us, we only use it for the purposes of communicating with you.
We do not sell any personal information to third parties.
The John F. Kennedy Library Foundation occasionally exchanges on a one-for-one basis the names and street addresses of a limited number of donors with other groups whose products or programs we think you would appreciate. You can ask that your name be omitted from such exchanges by sending an email to email@example.com or calling (617) 514-1659.
We may transfer personal information to a third party in the following cases:
- To a bank or United States Department of the Treasury account, which must receive payment for a transaction that you initiated;
- To a company that is contracted to assist us with specific services, including electronic commerce or donations, and which agrees not to sell or use personal information for other purposes;
- To legal authorities if we suspect that you are attempting to change or otherwise damage this website, or you are using it in violation of Federal or local laws;
- To the National Archives Foundation and of the foundations associated with Presidential libraries, which are non-governmental 501(c)(3) organizations that support the programs and activities of the National Archives; or
- To Congress or a court in response to a subpoena.
Like many websites, we use “persistent cookie” technology. Persistent cookies are small text files that this website places on your computer so that it can remember you when you show up again later—like cookie crumbs. None of these cookies store any of your personal information. We use persistent cookies in two ways, both of which enhance your experience on this website while also protecting your privacy:
- To get aggregate metrics on site usage to understand how people are using the site and how we can make it better. We use web metrics services to track activity on the site. We only ever receive traffic statistics anonymously and in the aggregate.
- To gather anonymous summary demographic information about our visitors such as gender, age range, and areas of interest for adults over the age of 18. We do this by using Google Demographic and Interests reports. When you visit a website that has partnered with the Google Display Network, Google stores a number in your browser using a persistent cookie to remember your visits. This number uniquely identifies a web browser, not a specific person. Browsers may be associated with a demographic category, such as gender or age range, based on the sites that were visited. This demographic information is used to help us better understand our visitors' interests and needs to more effectively develop content to serve you.
Most Internet browsers automatically accept persistent cookies. Although persistent cookies help us create a better experience for you, most of this website will also work without them. If you don’t want to accept cookies, you can change your browser’s options to not accept them or to prompt you before accepting them. Here’s how to disable cookies.
Some of our websites use a feature called "Web Storage" (which includes HTML5 "local storage") so users can retrieve searches or user-defined preferences, or data marked as a favorite. This feature creates a storage file on the user’s local hard drive that holds links to the resources from the website that the individual user previously searched or identified as a preference or favorite. No information from this file is transferred to NARA or any other website. Local storage files can be cleared through your browser settings or disabled, similar to cookies.
On occasion, we will embed media, web forms, and other third-party applications in our site. When we embed media or applications from a third party, it is to enhance the visitor’s experience.
The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum and the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation have presences on several social media platforms. Each of these sites provides visitors with a unique way to interact with us and helps us to open our collections to the public.
The third party site may retain backup files or other files that contain PII. We have no control over the third party’s use of this information and makes no representations regarding the third party’s responsibilities.
Some parts of this site use browser plug-ins. While the plug-ins are needed to view or listen to some content, you retain control and choice about conducting the download. At the time that we create and post the web pages that require these software plug-ins for viewing, they are provided by their manufacturer for download and use free of charge. We cannot guarantee, however, that the plug-in will remain free, or that the manufacturer will not collect personally identifying information about you when you elect to download the software from its site. If you choose to visit the manufacturer's web site to obtain the plug-in, please carefully review the manufacturer's posted policies for details about personal privacy and use of downloaded plug-ins.
We provide links from our web pages to external websites because they provide information that may interest our customers. This is provided as a convenience only. External links do not constitute an endorsement by the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum or the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation of the opinions, products, or services presented on the external site, or of any sites linked to it. John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum and the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation are not responsible for the legality or accuracy of information on externally linked sites, or for any costs incurred while using externally linked sites.
External links are intended to support our mission. They are not intended to support private or commercial organizations or businesses.
The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum is a Presidential Library Administered by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).
- Events and Awards/Profiles in Courage Award
- Events and Awards/New Frontier Award
- Learn/Profiles in Courage Essay Contest for High School Students
- About Us/John F. Kennedy Library Foundation
- About Us/Join and Support
The National Archives is responsible for ensuring that our information and services are accessible to you. If you have comments about how we can improve accessibility to better serve you, please visit the NARA Accessibility Page for further information.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, we use special software programs for monitoring network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage to this computer system. These programs collect no information that would directly identify individuals, but they do collect information that could help us identify someone attempting to tamper with this website.
If you use this system, you should understand that all activities may be monitored and recorded. Anyone using this system expressly consents to such monitoring. If such monitoring reveals possible evidence of criminal activity, monitoring records may be provided to law enforcement officials.
Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, we make no other attempts to identify individual users or their usage habits. We only use raw monitoring data logs for determining trends in usage patterns and in diagnosing system problems.
Effective Date: February 12, 2015
1. Collected Information. The information collected during your use of the Application includes the following:
(a) Information Collected by the Application. As part of using the Application, you may provide certain information such as your name or photograph to the Application, but we do not collect that information from the Application and all such information will reside solely on your mobile device. You may delete such information from the Application at any time and continue to use the Application.
(b) Automatically Collected Information. When you use the Application, we gather certain non-personally identifiable information from you, but this information cannot be associated with you. This includes information relating to how often and for how long you use the Application and how often the Application is downloaded. None of this information is or can be associated with you.
2. Use of Information. We internally use the information we collect as follows:
(a) Provision of Services. We may use collected information as necessary to provide the features and functionality of the Application to you.
(b) Updates and Troubleshooting. We may also use the collected information to update and modify the Application.
3. Disclosure of Information. We share and disclose the information we collect as follows:
(a) Aggregated Information. We may provide third parties with aggregated, non-personally identifiable information about our user base and its interests and usage patterns. This may include making available aggregated, anonymous data regarding activity related to this Application.
(b) Legal Requirement. We will use and disclose information where we, in good faith, believe that the law or legal process (such as a court order, search warrant or subpoena) requires us to do so or in other circumstances where we believe it is necessary to protect the rights or property of Company, our users and/or third parties.
(c) Affiliates. We may disclose this information to our affiliates for use as described in this Policy.
4. Effective Date; Changes. This Policy applies to all information collected by or provided to us on and after the Effective Date. When we make any material changes to this Policy, we will change the Effective Date. We will treat your continued use of the Application following such change as your acceptance of the changes. However, we will seek your affirmative consent prior to applying any material change to this Policy on how we use or disclose personally identifiable information to information we collected or received prior to the date of the change.
5. Security. You are solely responsible for safeguarding your of your personally identifiable information that resides on your mobile device. We expressly disclaim any representation or warranty, whether express or implied, with respect to ensuring, guaranteeing or otherwise offering any definitive promise of security in connection with such personal information.
6. Contacting Us. If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at JFKapp at jfklfoundation.org.
Effective: May 29, 2019
Information that We Collect
You can download and use the App without providing us with any information that identifies you directly. We do not require you to create an account or otherwise register with us in order to use the App. However, when you launch the App, you have the option to indicate that you are at the John F. Kennedy Library.
Additionally, when you download and use the App, we and our service providers may automatically receive and records certain information about your device and your use of the App. For example, this may include your device’s IP address, user-agent, features you use within the App, the date and time of your activities on the App, time since your last visit, your clicks, searches conducted, your software and hardware attributes (including browser and operating system type and version, device screen size, mobile app version, device type, and device identifiers), and your general location inferred from IP address. To obtain such information, we or our third-party service providers may use the following technologies to recognize your device and collect information about your device and App usage:
- Logs. When you use the App, we automatically receive and record certain information from your device and the App. To obtain such information, we may use logs or applications that recognize your device and gather information about its activity.
- Mobile advertising IDs and SDKs. We or our service providers may use mobile advertising identifiers (such as Apple’s IDFA or Google’s Advertising ID) to collect information for analytics and interest-based advertising purposes, as described in the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising.” We also may include third-party software development kits (“SDK”) in our App. An SDK consists of third-party code that we may use to add features to our App and allow our service providers to collect information through the App.
How We Use Your Information
JFKLF and our service providers use the information that we collect for a variety of purposes, including:
- Providing the App. To provide and improve our App and for other purposes related to managing our organization;
- Communicating with you. To communicate with you about important updates regarding our App, and other administrative issues, including via push notices and in-App notifications;
- Conducting analytics. To count and recognize users of the App, analyze how the App is used, and conduct analytics, including as described in the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising”;
- Compiling aggregated and de-identified information. To compile aggregated and de-identified statistics or reports that we may share with partners or other third parties;
How We Share Information
We share your information with other parties for a variety of purposes, as described below.
- Service Providers. JFKLF may use third-party service providers to perform services on our behalf, including data-hosting companies and analytics providers. We may permit these third-party service providers to collect and use information on our behalf or we may share information with these service providers for the purposes described in this Policy.
- Aggregated and de-identified information. From time to time, JFKLF may also share aggregated and de-identified information about users, such as by publishing reports on trends in the usage of the Services.
Third-Party Analytics and Interest-based Advertising
We partner with third parties to engage in analytics, auditing, research, and reporting on our App. These third parties collect information regarding your usage of the App as described in the section above titled “Information that We Collect,” and they may use logs, web beacons, tags, pixels, mobile advertising IDs (such as Apple’s IDFA or Google’s Android Advertising ID), and similar technologies. In particular, we use Google Analytics for Firebase to help collect and analyze certain information for the purposes discussed above. You may opt out Google Analytics for Firebase by following the mobile application opt-out instructions below.
We also partner with third parties to provide advertising services that are targeted based on your online activities across websites, mobile apps, and devices over time (commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising”). Our advertising partners may collect information about your activities on our App on your current device and combine it with information about your activities on other websites and mobile apps or devices. They may collect such information using logs, web beacons, tags, pixels, mobile advertising IDs (such as Apple’s IDFA or Google’s Advertising ID), and similar technologies. For example, our advertising partners may use the fact that you visited our App to target advertising to you on non-JFKLF mobile apps on your current device or on other devices you use. You can opt out of interest-based advertising in web browsers and mobile apps on your current browser or device by following the instructions below.
- Web browser opt-out. To opt out in web browsers, please visit optout.aboutads.info and optout.networkadvertising.org. To help preserve your choices, you can install the “Protect My Choices” extension that is available at http://www.aboutads.info/PMC.
- Mobile application opt-out. To opt out in mobile apps, you can adjust the advertising preferences on your mobile device. In iOS, visit Settings > Privacy > Advertising > Limit Ad Tracking. In Android, visit Settings > Google > Ads > Opt out of interest-based ads or Opt out of Personalized Advertising.
You can also opt out for participating companies by downloading the Digital Advertising Alliance’s AppChoices tool at www.aboutads.info/appchoices and following the instructions in the app. For more information about opting out on mobile devices, please see https://www.networkadvertising.org/mobile-choice.
Please note that the opt-outs described above will apply only to the specific browser or device from which you opt out, and therefore you will need to opt out separately on all of your browsers and devices. If you delete or reset your cookies or mobile advertising identifiers, change browsers (including upgrading certain browsers), or use a different device, any opt-out cookie or tool may no longer work and you will need to opt out again.
Third-Party Links, Websites, and Apps
Your Rights and Choices
JFKLF provides you with choices to review, access, and update your information or to exercise your data protection rights, as follows:
You can adjust your push notification preferences in your device’s settings.
You may have additional rights under applicable laws to request access to, correction of, deletion of, or restrictions on the processing of certain information. You also may have rights under applicable laws to opt out of or withdraw consent to further processing, request copies of your data, or lodge a complaint with a data protection authority in your jurisdiction. To make such request and/or inquire about such rights, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Security and Retention
JFKLF uses reasonable physical, technical and administrative safeguards to protect your information against loss or unauthorized access, use, modification, or deletion. However, no security program is 100% secure, and thus we cannot guarantee the absolute security of the App.
We retain the information collected through the App for as long as reasonably necessary to deliver our App to you, to fulfill the purposes described in this Policy, or as required by law.
The information that we collect through or in connection with the App is transferred to and processed in the United States for the purposes described above. JFKLF also may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise share your data with third parties in the United States or countries other than your country of residence. The data-protection laws in these countries may be different from, and less stringent than, those in your country of residence. By installing the App or by providing any information to us, you expressly consent to such transfer and processing.
The App is directed at individuals over the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13.
Changes to This Policy
JFKLF may make changes to the App in the future and as a consequence will need to revise this Policy to reflect those changes. You should review this Policy periodically. If we make a material change to the Policy, you will be provided with appropriate notice.
How to Contact Us