The John F. Kennedy Library Foundation provides funds to scholars and students interested in researching the Ernest Hemingway Collection.
Stipend Amount: up to $5,000.
Research Focus: Grant applications are evaluated on the basis of expected utilization of the Collection, the proposed project's contributions to Hemingway and/or related studies, and the applicant's qualifications.
Application Deadline: November 1
Award Announcement: January
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact an archivist at the JFK Library (Kennedy.Library@nara.gov) for information about relevant archival holdings before applying.
To apply, please submit the following documentation:
- A complete application form.
- A brief proposal (up to four pages) including the following information: the planned project and its significance; specific holdings from the Ernest Hemingway Collection that you will consult at the JFK Library; research you will undertake at other institutions; and the intended audience and expected outcome of your work.
- Two letters of recommendation from academic or other appropriate references.
- An eight- to ten-page sample of your writing.
- A project budget, including the following information: a description of how the awarded funds would be applied (the estimated per diem cost of accommodations and meals for Boston, MA is $225); a list of other fellowships or grants that will support the project, and a statement on whether matching funds are available to you through your home institution or elsewhere.
- A CV or resume.
Preference is given to dissertation research and projects not supported by major grants from other institutions, although all proposals are welcome and receive careful consideration.
Additional documentation will not be considered as part of your application.
Email your completed application to the Fellowship Coordinator at Kennedy.Fellowships@nara.gov, or submit by mail:
Research Fellowship Coordinator
John F. Kennedy Presidential Library
Boston, MA 02125