JFK 100—Milestones & Mementos
Centennial Exhibition Open Through November 28, 2019
JFK 100: Milestones & Mementos is the title of a new exhibition commemorating President Kennedy’s centenary. Featuring a compelling selection of items drawn mostly from the Kennedy Library’s collections, the exhibition will chronicle historic milestones in the President’s career and administration, as well as the events of his personal and family life. Highlights of the exhibition include family items from his childhood and adolescence; a flag from PT 109 (the boat commanded by JFK during World War II); items relating to the Cuban Missile Crisis, and notes jotted down by the President in preparation of his landmark address to the nation on civil rights.
Several items have never before been displayed, including some of JFK’s personal belongings, such as his sunglasses, several of his neckties, and gifts from his young children. The stories revealed in these materials complement the stories presented in the permanent galleries of the museum. Cumulatively, this special exhibition reflects the arc of President Kennedy’s life—the challenges, burdens, and opportunities of his life and times—as well as the sweep of history over the last century. The exhibition is slated to run through November 2018.
Items featured in the exhibition include:
- Scrapbook compiled by JFK as a high school student while attending Choate, 1934-35;
- Suitcase used by JFK while on the road campaigning in 1960;
- President Kennedy’s Cabinet Room chair;
- Selection of JFK’s neckties;
- President Kennedy’s handwritten notes in preparation for his 1963 address to the nation on civil rights;
- President Kennedy’s undelivered remarks prepared for the Dallas Trade Mart, November 22, 1963.
JFK100: Milestones and Mementos is generously supported by the Blanche & Irving Laurie Foundation.
In the News
- Wall Street Journal: John F. Kennedy at 100
- Chronicle, WCVB: JFK 100: Milestones and Mementos
- Parade: John F. Kennedy at 100: Rare Objects from His Personal Life Go on Display at the JFK Museum
- Boston Globe: New JFK exhibit offers a glimpse into the president’s humanity